Danish Modern Wall System Project Completed

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This is the wall system I just built for my living room. It is the first real furniture I designed and built.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I made a couple of this type with the two black doors. I had a limited amount of the veneered stock so I chose to alternate the door and cabinet colors.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Here you can see how the doors pivot open.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This one is probably my favorite. It took me a long time to figure out the hinge layout.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The door folds down so you can use the back of it as a litte writing desk. It was really important to me that the back of the door was flush with the inside of the cabinet. This was dificult because I also wanted the door to be recessed into the cabinet when closed. I went back to Rockler a couple times looking for the right hinges.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This one was the hardest to deal with because it is so big. It is about 50″ across and is pretty heavy.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
It opens basically the same way as the first cabinet.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Here is one of the drawer cabinets I made. This one is by my front door and has a place for all the stuff I can never find when it is time to leave the house.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This is basically the same design with only one drawer.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
All the drawers are made using half blind dovetail joinery. They also have full extension drawer guides. They are pretty narrow front to back so they would be ussless without them.

I bought the pole hardware from Ikea. They are a bit more industrial looking than I wanted but they are pretty close and I think better than if I had made poles out of wood. I got all the Walnut or Teak veneer stock from recycling another piece of furniture my friend Bryan was throwing out. This limited me in the design phase but I ended up with plenty of finished cabinets. I refinished the venner with a tung oil rubbed finish which is appears identical to the original finish. All the black material is painted MDF. It took a couple weeks to get the paint to be the way I wanted it. Overall I am pleased with the result and it should help organize my stuff.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , ,


Leave a Reply